Whale with us!
Our team loves using data and tech to increase the impact of nonprofits and we are always looking for great people to whale with us. See our open positions below. Whole Whale’s headquarters are based in beautiful DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY. We also have offices in San Francisco and Germany if you’re in the area.
Our Values & Beliefs
We seriously believe we can close the nonprofit education gap in data and tech.
We are geeks who love to find out what the data say about any topic. Smart, analytical, intelligent, data-informed is how we like to refer to our team.
We accept responsibility for our actions with clients and act with their best interests in all decisions.
Even if the glass is empty, we are pretty sure there is a fountain nearby if we look hard enough.
We are always asking questions, testing assumptions and learning as individuals. If we aren’t learning, we feel like we are falling behind.
We measure and improve everything including our own work through our sprint accounting system. We a group that gets things done quickly and at a high level of quality.
Understanding the motivations and feelings of those around us and responding appropriately is the key to being a team player and is something we work toward.
Listen to a former employee talk about his work at Whole Whale honestly
Hear from an employee that worked from abroad for 1 month
Our Account Strategist Whaler will manage multiple client relationships and work across different Whole Whale teams and projects. With a focus on account leadership, the Account Strategist Whaler will work mostly with the Advertising, Analytics, and Content Marketing teams to develop, implement, and analyze the performance of digital marketing efforts for our nonprofit clients. You are inherently curious, dogged in your pursuit of an answer, a delegation master, and strong communicator. This role will work out of Whole Whale’s HQ in DUMBO, Brooklyn.
Client Account Management
- Serve as the main point of contact for 3-5 nonprofit clients; lead regular meetings, set client expectations, provide email support, present reports and deliverables, and communicate progress on projects
- Provide a 30K foot view for clients to best leverage Whole Whale’s digital marketing capabilities to help them make progress towards their impact goals; translate client goals into tasks that can be supported by the broader Whole Whale team
- Lead project management for assigned clients; define project objectives, set timelines, and work with team members to delegate work relevant to their expertise to meet project milestones and deadlines
- Be a partner and advocate for clients internally and find ways to deliver quality service and support, exceed their expectations, and increase their digital impact
- Lead web video and in-person trainings and presentations on topics related to impact measurement, analytics, digital marketing, and other areas of expertise
- Lead impact mapping and own high-level strategy and vision for how our nonprofit clients can best leverage all facets of their digital marketing to further their impact goals
- Ensure high quality client-facing deliverables and depth of strategic thinking across various Whole Whale digital marketing disciplines
- Translate data into action and use Google Analytics and other analytics tools to answer client questions, identify relevant insights, and better inform their overall digital efforts
- Become an expert — While 70% of this job will be account leadership, the other 30% will rely on you to develop deeper expertise in one or more of the Whole Whale service areas (Analytics, Advertising, SEO, Email, Social Media, etc.)
- Stay up to date on digital marketing opportunities and tools to support client success and keep the team informed
- Create recommendations and training documents for clients and partners, including speaking and presenting at WWU Live webinars and conferences
- Write and edit articles and guides on relevant nonprofit issues and opportunities that interest you
- Demonstrated success managing client and/or partner relationships
- Strong project management skills with a high bar for rigor, quality, and integrity
- Great atttention to detail and organizational skills – Managing multiple projects at once is a no brainer (Tell us you found this typo in your cover letter)
- Embody WW values of curious, honest, positive, efficient, analytical, empathetic, and mission-driven
- Do-er with a desire to learn — Seriously, we know that everyone starts from somewhere and we’re interested in people eager to learn!
- You’re passionate about social causes and believe in the mission of Whole Whale and the clients we support: Wholewhale.com/clients
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Account strategy whales.” In your cover letter, please detail any experience you have with account management, nonprofit digital marketing, why it interests you, and answer the following questions:
- What nonprofit digital marketing campaign do you admire most and why?
- Who would be your dream Whole Whale client?
Whole Whale’s Multimedia Whaler position is a 4-month contract position that provides hands-on experience creating varied multimedia content in a fast-paced agency environment to help educate nonprofits on important digital marketing topics to further their impact goals.
This is an independent role with mostly individual learning. Through this position, the Multimedia Whaler for Winter/Spring 2020 will enhance their skills in video and audio editing, graphic design, photography, and more. The Multimedia Whaler is expected to work 3-4 days per week from January to April (dates flexible), and will be paid a weekly rate.
- Record weekly video episodes for our Whole Whale TV digital marketing series hosted by Whole Whale staff and course content for Whole Whale University using professional recording equipment to include backdrop, lighting, sound, and DSLR camera (episodes can be recorded in advance)
- Work with content owners to edit videos, webinars, and other recorded training content in Final Cut, Adobe Premiere Pro, or other preferred digital video editing software and post on our YouTube and/or Vimeo channels
- Create motion graphic videos using Powtoon for use on social media, email, and our website, as required (and time allows)
- Record and edit podcast audio in Audacity or other preferred audio editing software tool and post completed episodes on iTunes
- Design static images and graphics for Whole Whale website content and social media using shared design tool Canva, to include:
- Social media posts
- Article hero images on wholewhale.com/tips
- Build Whole Whale’s photography library for use in future Whole Whale content, such as photos of Puppy Whaler Turtle, team, trainings, workshops, events, etc.
- Content creator with a good eye for design, clear visual aesthetic, and strong production skills (video, animation, illustration, etc.)
- Experience using professional video and audio editing software (e.g. Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, Audacity)
- Experience with graphic design (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign)
- Experience creating and posting content for digital platforms like WordPress, YouTube, Facebook, Pinterest and more a big plus!
- Comfortable directing behind a camera and using professional recording equipment
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Multimedia for Impact.” In your cover letter, please detail any experience you have creating multi-media content, why you’re interested in this role, and answer the following questions:
- What is a social issue you care deeply about?
- What’s your favorite nonprofit video and why?
Are you a developer? Would you like to be part of building a brand new product and developing new features for our nonprofit clients?
Are you a data analyst/strategist? Looking for an opportunity to do meaningful data strategy work with Google Analytics?
Are you a digital marketing expert? Want to learn more about turning digital advertising into social impact?
We’re always on the hunt for good talent. If you think you could make a big impact at Whole Whale, send us your resume and a brief note explaining your background and how Whole Whale could benefit from bringing you on board. Send these materials to [email protected]
Full-time Whaler Benefits
All full-time entry-level employees start at $42,000 per year + undergo a two month “swim test.” At the end of those two months, if we are the right fit for each other, Whole Whale offers some pretty awesome benefits for full-time employees:
Healthcare + Dental + Vision. Because duh.
Unlimited Vacation (min 10) + Sick Days. We count work getting done – not working days.
Educational Stipend. $1,000 a year to spend on approved educational activities, books, classes, or conferences. We’re serious about learning.
Work from home Fridays. Because #America.
Cell Phone + Transportation. We cover cell phones for employees that join the company plan, and encourage all employees to use pre-tax Transitcheck to purchase Metrocards.
401k. With matching up to 4% of salary contribution.
Profit Sharing. A percentage of profits are shared through 401k distributions to full-time employees that qualify.
Puppy Whaler Visits. Who doesn’t love dogs in the office?
Paid parental leave. New parents can take up to 12 weeks of paid leave to be with their new child. After that, up to 3 months of unpaid leave or flexible time can be arranged.
Staff retreat. Twice a year the team goes on a staff retreat for team-building and goal-setting activities. The Poconos and upstate NY have been popular destinations.
Whale Abroad Month. After completing 2.5 years of full-time employment at the company, Whalers can go on a 1-month work from abroad trip with a reduced 4-day work week schedule. Whole Whale will cover up to $2,500 of the trip cost.
Premium Spotify + Headspace. We cover meditation and music.