Whale with us!
Our team loves using data and tech to increase the impact of nonprofits and we are always looking for great people to whale with us. We currently have one part-time position open for 2017. See the descriptions below! Whole Whale is based in the new WeWork building in beautiful DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY.
- Content Intern (Fall)
- Multimedia Intern (Winter/Spring)
- Developer Whaler (part-time)
- Open application drop
Or find open digital jobs from our partners and clients.
Tweet us if you’re checking us outThis looks like a fun place to work, glad they don't actually kill whales. #npTech Click To Tweet
Whole Whale, a digital agency that works with nonprofits, is looking for a Content Intern for Fall 2017. Interns in this role will help us with our efforts to educate nonprofits about important tech topics via website articles and SEO content strategy. Interns are expected to work 2 days a week from September to December, and will be paid a semester stipend of $1,500.
– Write content for our blog and other parts of Whole Whale and client websites
– Write and edit meta descriptions for content on Whole Whale and client websites
– Aid in SEO keyword research and content modeling for Whole Whale and our clients
– Writing subject lines and preheader text for Whole Whale and client email campaigns
– Copy edit content on the Whole Whale website
– Help promote Whole Whale content on social media platforms (Youtube and others)
– Editorial experience and a passion for writing
– Understanding of the crossroads between writing for search engines and writing for humans
– Experience with WordPress
– Meticulous eidtorial eye
– Familiarity with media analytics and Moz.com a plus
– Familiarity with email marketing best practices
– Serious attention to detail when it comes to editorial. You caught the typo in this section.
– Passionate about social causes
Send a cover letter, resume, and portfolio/links to recent work to [email protected] with the subject line “I want to create content for good” In your cover letter, please answer this question: What is a social issue you care deeply about?
Whole Whale, a digital agency that works with nonprofits, is looking for a Multimedia + Design Intern for Winter/Spring 2018. Interns in this role will help us with our efforts to educate nonprofits about important tech topics via video, audio (podcast), and graphic design. Interns are expected to work 2-3 days a week from January to May, and will be paid a monthly stipend.
– Record new episodes for our Whole Whale TV series using professional setup that includes backdrop, lighting, microphone and DSLR camera
– Work with our video lead to edit videos in Final Cut or Adobe Premiere Pro
– Record and edit podcasts in Audacity
– Design graphics for Whole Whale content and social media using Photoshop
– Experience with Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro, Audacity
– Experience with visual software like Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign
– Familiarity with media analytics a plus
– Comfortable behind a camera and using professional video equipments
– Understanding of cutting edge video technologies
Send a cover letter, resume, and portfolio/links to recent work to [email protected] with the subject line “I want to make media for good” In your cover letter, please answer this question: What is a social issue you care deeply about?
Developer Whaler (part-time)
Whole Whale, a digital agency that leverages tech to increase impact for nonprofits, is looking for a New York City based part-time developer that can work flexibly with our non-profit client base. You will be working closely with our tech lead and PM to build fun and meaningful technical solutions – from a site that educates young people about healthy relationships to a Poetry Genome – for good. Whole Whale is based in the new WeWork building in beautiful DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY.
- Develop user-facing elements for websites and products
- Integrate 3rd party APIs, such as CRMs and donation platforms
- Build a library of reusable code for future internal and client projects
- Maintain client and Whole Whale’s sites, including 404 fixes, performance optimization, and plugin updates
- Develop and open source WordPress plugins
- Translate user feedback into actionable items and prioritize in project management system
- Set up testing automation to improve QA process
Google Analytics Configuration
- Communicate with website admins/developers on advanced tracking configuration
- Ability/interest in implementing GA and GTM scripts and code a big plus
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience
- 2+ years in relevant coding languages/platforms
- Superb attention to detail and ability to think through edge cases
- Familiarity with WordPress and Drupal
- Proficiency with versioning systems like Git or SVN
- Ability to communicate with non-technical humans
- Familiarity with graphic design tools – Adobe Suite, Sketch, InVision
- Bonus: experience in at least one of these areas
- Salesforce SOAP or REST integration
- Google Analytics integration
- SEO and tools like Moz and Google Search Console
- CRMs such as Salesforce and Blackbaud
Send a cover letter and resume to Ann, WW’s tech + design lead, at [email protected] with the subject line “I <3 coding for good”. In your cover letter, please focus on these three questions:
- What nonprofit or social impact organization do you care deeply about?
- What is your favorite thing about coding?
- What is your existing experience with development? Be specific – what projects have you worked on and what kind of results did you see? Feel free to share screenshots or other resources to help us understand your past successes.
Whole Whale is an equal opportunity employer.
Are you a developer? Would you like to be part of building a brand new product and developing new features for our nonprofit clients?
Are you a data analyst/strategist? Looking for an opportunity to do meaningful data strategy work with Google Analytics?
Are you a digital marketing expert? Want to learn more about turning digital advertising into social impact?
We’re always on the hunt for good talent. If you think you could make a big impact at Whole Whale, send us your resume and a brief note explaining your background and how Whole Whale could benefit from bringing you on board. Send these materials to [email protected]
Free, unlimited, delicious coffee and beer. Thanks WeWork!
Healthcare + Dental + Vision. Because duh.
Unlimited Vacation (min 10) + Sick Days. We count work getting done – not working days.
Educational Stipend. $1,000 a year to spend on approved educational activities, books, classes, or conferences. We’re serious about learning.
Work from home Fridays. Because #America.
Cell Phone + Transportation. We cover cell phones for employees that join the company plan, and encourage all employees to use pre-tax Transitcheck to purchase Metrocards.
401k. With matching up to 4% of salary contribution.
Profit Sharing. A percentage of profits are shared through 401k distributions to full-time employees that qualify.
Puppy Whaler Visits. Who doesn’t love dogs in the office?
Paid parental leave. New parents can take up to 12 weeks of paid leave to be with their new child. After that, up to 3 months of unpaid leave or flexible time can be arranged.