Whale with us!
Our team loves using data and tech to increase the impact of nonprofits and we are always looking for great people to whale with us. We currently have a fellowship open for 2019. See the descriptions below! Whole Whale is based in beautiful DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY.
Or find open digital jobs from our partners and clients.
Tweet us if you’re checking us outThis looks like a fun place to work, glad they don't actually kill whales. #npTech Click To Tweet
Whole Whale, a digital agency that works with nonprofits, is looking for a Digital Marketing Fellow to develop core digital marketing skills while helping raise awareness for our nonprofit clients and increase our impact.
Whole Whale’s fellowship will help prepare recent graduates and young professionals for full-time employment in the nonprofit and social impact sector by providing hands-on experience and skill-building with digital marketing including: search engine optimization (SEO), content writing, email campaigning, digital advertising, analytics, and more.
Whole Whale’s Digital Marketing Fellowship is a 4 month program, where fellows are expected to work 4 days per week (days and dates flexible) out of our office in DUMBO. Fellows will be paid a monthly stipend for hours worked.
Following the completion of their fellowship program, Fellows will have the opportunity to apply for a full-time role with Whole Whale, dependent on performance and client needs. We’d like to consider candidates who have an interest in possibly joining our team full-time.
Daily responsibilities will vary depending on individual project needs, but your core responsibilities will include:
SEO + Content Marketing
- Write and edit content (e.g. page content, blog posts, or email) and metadata for both Whole Whale and client websites
- Aid in SEO keyword research and content modeling for Whole Whale and our clients
- Keep a finger on the pulse of latest trends and opportunities in SEO and content marketing (e.g. Schema)
- Find insights in client web traffic using Google Analytics and other available data
Digital Advertising + Social Media
- Help plan and execute Facebook, YouTube, and other social advertising campaigns for WW and clients
- Manage Google Ad Grant accounts for our nonprofit clients (including ongoing ad copy updates, keyword research, and implementation of new campaign ideas)
- Contribute to WW social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, etc.)
- Create ad-hoc reports on client social media and paid advertising results
- Research and determine new ways to increase nonprofit digital goal conversions
Building the WW Brand
- Write and edit blog posts on relevant tech and nonprofit issues and opportunities
- Help promote WW products like Lighthouse and Whole Whale University
- Experience managing social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram)
- Familiarity with social media analytics platforms (i.e. Facebook Insights) and Google Analytics
- Experience with Google Ads (previously Google AdWords) and other digital advertising platforms a big plus
- Superb attention to detail and organizational skills – managing multiple campaigns at once is a no brainer
- Content writing & editorial/copywriting experience and a meticulous editorial eye
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Passionate about social causes
- Embody WW values of curious, honest, positive, efficient, analytical, empathetic, and mission-driven
- Desire to learn. Seriously, we know that everyone starts from somewhere – we’re interested in people eager to learn.
What You’ll Gain
- Through hand-ons professional development, you’ll learn the fundamentals of nonprofit digital marketing, including: SEO basics, how to use Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager to track impact, tips & tricks for writing for the web, how to run a digital advertising campaign on Facebook & Google, and more
- You’ll gain a network of nonprofit digital marketing professionals at Whole Whale who can provide mentorship and support as you grow your skills
- A number of nonprofits and for-good companies will increase their impact through smart digital marketing strategies that you’ll help drive
Send a cover letter, resume, and 2 short writing samples (e.g. blog post, social post promoting a cause, etc.) to [email protected] with the subject line “I <3 marketing for good.” In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
- What is a social issue you care deeply about?
- Which nonprofit marketing campaign do you admire and why?
Are you a developer? Would you like to be part of building a brand new product and developing new features for our nonprofit clients?
Are you a data analyst/strategist? Looking for an opportunity to do meaningful data strategy work with Google Analytics?
Are you a digital marketing expert? Want to learn more about turning digital advertising into social impact?
We’re always on the hunt for good talent. If you think you could make a big impact at Whole Whale, send us your resume and a brief note explaining your background and how Whole Whale could benefit from bringing you on board. Send these materials to [email protected]
Full-time Whaler Benefits
All full-time entry-level employees start at $41,400 per year + undergo a two month “swim test.” At the end of those two months, if we are the right fit for each other, Whole Whale offers some pretty awesome benefits for full-time employees:
Free, unlimited, delicious coffee!
Healthcare + Dental + Vision. Because duh.
Unlimited Vacation (min 10) + Sick Days. We count work getting done – not working days.
Educational Stipend. $1,000 a year to spend on approved educational activities, books, classes, or conferences. We’re serious about learning.
Work from home Fridays. Because #America.
Cell Phone + Transportation. We cover cell phones for employees that join the company plan, and encourage all employees to use pre-tax Transitcheck to purchase Metrocards.
401k. With matching up to 4% of salary contribution.
Profit Sharing. A percentage of profits are shared through 401k distributions to full-time employees that qualify.
Puppy Whaler Visits. Who doesn’t love dogs in the office?
Paid parental leave. New parents can take up to 12 weeks of paid leave to be with their new child. After that, up to 3 months of unpaid leave or flexible time can be arranged.
Staff retreat. Twice a year the team goes on a staff retreat for team-building and goal-setting activities. The Poconos and upstate NY have been popular destinations.
Sabbatical. After completing 2.25 years of full-time employment at the company, Whalers can go on a 4-week volunteer trip.
Annual San Francisco Trip. Because our Chief Whaler is based in SF, Whole Whale provides its full time employees with one paid work trip to San Francisco annually.
Premium Spotify + Headspace. We cover meditation and music.