Whale with us!
Our team loves using data and tech to increase the impact of nonprofits and we are always looking for great people to whale with us. See our open positions below.
Whole Whale’s headquarters are based in Brooklyn, NY.
There are no fellowship positions available at this time.
The Whole Whale Fellowship Program is designed to prepare recent graduates, young professionals, or those seeking a new career path for full-time employment in the nonprofit and social impact sector by providing hands-on experience and skill-building with digital marketing. Fellows have the opportunity to grow their skills in digital marketing, advertising, and analytics while supporting both internal and client projects. Our fellowships are a 4-month commitment, and fellows are compensated with a weekly stipend. We’d like to consider candidates who have an interest in possibly joining our team full-time.
Opportunities with our Social Impact Clients
Our Values & Beliefs
We seriously believe we can close the nonprofit education gap in data and tech.
We are geeks who love to find out what the data say about any topic. Smart, analytical, intelligent, data-informed is how we like to refer to our team.
We accept responsibility for our actions with clients and act with their best interests in all decisions.
Even if the glass is empty, we are pretty sure there is a fountain nearby if we look hard enough.
We are always asking questions, testing assumptions and learning as individuals. If we aren’t learning, we feel like we are falling behind.
We measure and improve everything including our own work through our sprint accounting system. We a group that gets things done quickly and at a high level of quality.
Understanding the motivations and feelings of those around us and responding appropriately is the key to being a team player and is something we work toward.
Analytics Director (Full-Time)
Whole Whale is looking for an Analytics Director to lead our growing Analytics pod. The ideal candidate has experience managing a growing team, working across a suite of web analytics platforms (including Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager), and a deep interest in exploring how data can be used to further nonprofit client impact goals.
- This is a full-time staff position offered at the Director level. As part of our DEIB Commitment, Whole Whale has transparent salary bands by level to ensure fair compensation across our team. The salary range for this role at the Director level is $73,000 – $85,000. Our total compensation package also includes competitive benefits such as 401k company match, employee profit-share, student loan reimbursement, unlimited PTO, and more.
- This role reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is a member of the Whole Whale leadership team.
- This role has an option to be Fully Remote. In non-Covid times, Whole Whale is based in Brooklyn, NY.
- Work closely with the leadership team to identify, prioritize, and execute analytics & technology support across departments, pushing the organization’s data and analytics capabilities beyond general setup and reporting
- Own Whole Whale’s analytics & reporting product offering, including developing and updating deliverables, templates, case studies, and analytics best practices across the department
- Oversee Core Competencies, prepare training plans to develop baseline analytics knowledge across the team, and manage growth paths for the Analytics Department
- Be proficient in completing foundational analytics deliverables, including event configuration in Google Tag Manager, platform set up in Google Analytics, and report-building in Google Data Studio
- Lead client and public-facing trainings and webinars
- Stay on top of industry analytics and technology trends, including leading the team around any platform developments and transitions that impact our work (e.g. GA4, IOS privacy changes, deprecation of third-party cookies, GDPR, etc.)
Team Leadership Responsibilities
- Lead and set the direction for the Analytics Pod. Develop team OKRs with a focus on maximizing performance and growing Whole Whale analytics capacity and expertise.
- Collaborate with and guide project teams to ensure best practices for data analysis and measurement to meet client goals and objectives
- Manage 2-4 direct reports, and provide support and oversight to other Analytics Pod members (6+ people)
- Support business development opportunities and nonprofit partnerships, including participating in pitches or proposal development, and providing recommendations for addressing client analytics, technology, or reporting challenges
- Work with senior leadership to incorporate tenets of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging into department competencies
Account Management Responsibilities
- For the 1st year: serve as the direct point of contact and account manager for 1-2 nonprofit accounts; lead regular meetings, set client expectations, provide email support, present reports and deliverables, project manage the team, and communicate progress
- Oversee a portfolio of Analytics client projects as led by client account managers; provide client support and ongoing strategic guidance
- Be a partner and advocate for clients internally and find ways to deliver quality service and support, exceed their expectations, and increase their digital impact
- Own project management for assigned work; define project objectives and scope to support staff resource allocation and internal operations; manage internal project timelines and delegation of work relevant to team expertise to meet project milestones
- Lead hands-on trainings with clients on topics related to analytics, technology, digital marketing, and other areas of expertise
- 5+ years of analytics experience and deep knowledge of Google Analytics (and, as a bonus, GA4) and ability to configure web tracking using Google Tag Manager
- 2+ years experience managing a team, including management of direct reports
- Strong ability to distill and communicate complex information for any audience
- Flexible and strategic problem solver who applies analytical rigor to guide and design data-backed solutions and approaches
- Strength with advanced Excel/Google Sheets a big plus
- Strong data visualization skills; ability to design dashboards on Google Data Studio a plus
- Experience with Tableau, Power BI, SQL, or similar database queries or business intelligence systems a plus
- Authentic passion for Whole Whale’s commitment to nonprofit impact and diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
How To Apply
Please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “Analytics Director 2022.” Include each of the following elements in your application email:
- Salary requirements
- 2 references, with at least one being a direct supervisor
- Answers to the following questions:
- Tell us about a time when you identified and solved a problem using data.
- What about this job excites you the most? What do you think will be the most challenging?
- What are your three workplace superpowers (e.g. the personal qualities that you uniquely bring to any team/role)?
- What do you think is the greatest Analytics challenge facing nonprofits today? How will you approach this challenge?
Whole Whale is an impact-driven B-corp digital agency that is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, and/or LGBTQ+ to apply. Having different backgrounds, life experiences, knowledge, capabilities, and talents is what gives our team its unique strength and allows us to best serve our diverse clients and causes. Candidate applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Are you a developer? Would you like to be part of building a brand new product and developing new features for our nonprofit clients?
Are you a data analyst/strategist? Looking for an opportunity to do meaningful data strategy work with Google Analytics?
Are you a digital marketing expert? Want to learn more about turning digital advertising into social impact?
We’re always on the hunt for good talent. If you think you could make a big impact at Whole Whale, send us your resume and a brief note explaining your background and how Whole Whale could benefit from bringing you on board. Send these materials to [email protected]
Every full-time hire undergoes a three-month “swim test” but is eligible to enroll in core benefits like health, vision, and dental care right away. Base salary for entry-level roles starts at $45k.
Whole Whale’s full awesome benefits for full-time employees include:
- Annual profit share: A percentage of profits are shared as a 401k distribution to full-time employees who qualify. This has historically equated to approximately 10% of base salary.
- 100% Paid Health, vision, dental care: Base plan for Health, vision, and dental premiums fully covered in one option along with additional plans to meet your needs.
- Unlimited PTO: Minimum of 10 vacation or sick days must be taken each year. We count work getting done – not working days.
- Technology budget: New employees get a tech setup budget for a computer and equipment as needed. Presently, Whole Whale is also providing extra equipment to facilitate work-from-home productivity.
- Learning budget: $750 a year to spend on approved educational activities, books, classes, or conferences. We’re serious about learning.
- Wellness budget: $400 a year to spend on enhancing your physical and mental wellbeing.
- Cell phone: Whole Whale covers phone costs up to $700/year for any employees who choose to join the company Verizon phone plan.
- 401k with 4% company match: Whole Whale matches up to 4% of salary contribution.
- Student loan assistance: After 1 year, whalers can receive up to $600/yr ($50 off their monthly payments) to support paying off their student loans (up to $1800/yr after 3+ yrs).
- Commission: Whalers can earn a 5% commission fee up to $5,000 for any new business they generate.
- Work abroad month: After 2.5 years, full-time employees have the opportunity to work abroad for up to one month. Includes a reduced 4-day work week and up to $2,500 towards the trip cost (reputable remote work partners provided).
- Paid parental leave: New parents can take up to 12 weeks of paid leave to be with their new child. After that, up to 3 months of unpaid leave or flexible time can be arranged.
- In-office perks when we reopen: WW is currently fully remote but is planning on reopening a Brooklyn office in 2022.
- Staff retreat: Once a year the team goes on a staff retreat for team-building and goal-setting activities. The Poconos and upstate NY have been popular destinations.
- Office snacks: We keep a fully stocked kitchen in our Brooklyn-based office, including unlimited tea and coffee and other snacks
- Flexible remote work policy