Whale with us!
Our team loves using data and tech to increase the impact of nonprofits and we are always looking for great people to whale with us. See our open positions below. Whole Whale’s headquarters are based in beautiful DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY. We also have offices in San Francisco if you’re in the area.
Our Values & Beliefs
We seriously believe we can close the nonprofit education gap in data and tech.
We are geeks who love to find out what the data say about any topic. Smart, analytical, intelligent, data-informed is how we like to refer to our team.
We accept responsibility for our actions with clients and act with their best interests in all decisions.
Even if the glass is empty, we are pretty sure there is a fountain nearby if we look hard enough.
We are always asking questions, testing assumptions and learning as individuals. If we aren’t learning, we feel like we are falling behind.
We measure and improve everything including our own work through our sprint accounting system. We a group that gets things done quickly and at a high level of quality.
Understanding the motivations and feelings of those around us and responding appropriately is the key to being a team player and is something we work toward.
Listen to a former employee talk about his work at Whole Whale honestly
Hear from an employee that worked from abroad for 1 month
Learn how our interview process works from our former head of hiring/Impact Whaler
This role is a rare opportunity to support many nonprofit and for-good partners to improve the design and execution of their digital product strategies. Our Digital Optimization Manager will manage multiple nonprofit client relationships and work across different Whole Whale teams and projects. With a focus on user experience and conversion rate optimization, you will work closely with the Content, Analytics and Tech teams to update landing pages, user flows, and design A/B tests that increase the conversion rate on meaningful metrics. This position will constantly be asking “How can we turn this client traffic into conversions and impact for the organization?” You are inherently curious, dogged in your pursuit of an answer, a delegation master, and strong communicator. The preferred location for this role is Whole Whale’s HQ in DUMBO, Brooklyn – though we are open to remote employees for a good fit.
Digital Optimization Lead
- Guide and execute conversion rate optimization work across the company, staying up-to-date on tactics and regularly stress-testing our approaches
- Craft and execute nonprofit strategies to increase conversions on meaningful metrics, such as email signups, volunteer registrations, and donations
- Plan, run, and report on landing page and form completion A/B tests
- Design user flows to optimize conversion rates and analytics tracking
- Analyze engagement data from multiple sources, such as Google Analytics and Crazyegg, to extract insights on bottlenecks and opportunities for improvement
- Architect taxonomy for content libraries on websites to enhance content discovery through both navigation and search
- Research and plan tools integration to increase data sync efficiency and accuracy
- Support conversion and optimization work for internal Whole Whale products and services (wholewhale.com/products)
Client Account Management
- Serve as the main point of contact for 3-5 nonprofit clients; lead regular meetings, set client expectations, provide email support, present reports and deliverables, and communicate progress on projects
- Provide a 30K foot view for clients to best leverage Whole Whale’s digital marketing capabilities to help them make progress towards their impact goals; translate client goals into tasks that can be supported by the broader Whole Whale team
- Lead project management for assigned clients; define project objectives, set timelines, and work with team members to delegate work relevant to their expertise to meet project milestones and deadlines
- Be a partner and advocate for clients internally and find ways to deliver quality service and support, exceed their expectations, and increase their digital impact
- Lead web video and in-person trainings and presentations on topics related to conversion optimization, A/B testing, Website UX, and other areas of expertise
- Experience managing client and/or partner relationships
- Strong understanding of website UX and IA
- Fluency with design and prototyping tools (e.g. Canva, Sketch, Adobe Suite, InVision)
- Fluency with common digital technology tools, including CMS (e.g. WordPress, Squarespace, Drupal), email marketing platforms (e.g. Mailchimp, Campaign Monitor, Hubspot), CRM (e.g. Salesforce, Hubspot), donor management (e.g. Neon, Blackbaud, Classy, Give Lively)
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS a plus
- Experience with Google Analytics and a data-driven mindset
- Creative and driven by a need to continuously iterate, think outside the box, and try new things to deliver even better results
- Great atttention to detail and organizational skills – Managing multiple projects at once is a no brainer (Tell us you found this typo in your cover letter)
- Embody WW values of curious, honest, positive, efficient, analytical, empathetic, and mission-driven
- Do-er with a desire to learn — Seriously, we know that everyone starts from somewhere and we’re interested in people eager to learn
- You’re passionate about social causes and believe in the mission of Whole Whale and the clients we support: Wholewhale.com/clients
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Digital Optimization Manager 2020”. In your cover letter, please detail any experience you have with digital marketing and conversion rate optimization, and address these questions:
- What nonprofit or social impact organization do you care deeply about?
- What two optimization recommendations would you make for that organization’s website?
Are you a developer? Would you like to be part of building a brand new product and developing new features for our nonprofit clients?
Are you a data analyst/strategist? Looking for an opportunity to do meaningful data strategy work with Google Analytics?
Are you a digital marketing expert? Want to learn more about turning digital advertising into social impact?
We’re always on the hunt for good talent. If you think you could make a big impact at Whole Whale, send us your resume and a brief note explaining your background and how Whole Whale could benefit from bringing you on board. Send these materials to [email protected]
Full-time Whaler Benefits
All full-time entry-level employees start at $42,000 per year + undergo a three month “swim test.” Enroll in core benefits like healthcare right away. Then at the end of three months, if we are the right fit for each other, you’ll unlock access to Whole Whale’s other awesome benefits for full-time employees:
Healthcare + Dental + Vision. Because duh.
Unlimited Vacation (min 10) + Sick Days. We count work getting done – not working days.
Educational Stipend. $1,000 a year to spend on approved educational activities, books, classes, or conferences. We’re serious about learning.
Work from home Fridays. Because #America.
Cell Phone + Transportation. We cover cell phones for employees that join the company plan, and encourage all employees to use pre-tax Transitcheck to purchase Metrocards.
401k. With matching up to 4% of salary contribution.
Profit Sharing. A percentage of profits are shared through 401k distributions to full-time employees that qualify.
Puppy Whaler Visits. Who doesn’t love dogs in the office?
Paid parental leave. New parents can take up to 12 weeks of paid leave to be with their new child. After that, up to 3 months of unpaid leave or flexible time can be arranged.
Staff retreat. Twice a year the team goes on a staff retreat for team-building and goal-setting activities. The Poconos and upstate NY have been popular destinations.
Whale Abroad Month. After completing 2.5 years of full-time employment at the company, Whalers can go on a 1-month work from abroad trip with a reduced 4-day work week schedule. Whole Whale will cover up to $2,500 of the trip cost.
Premium Spotify + Headspace. We cover meditation and music.