Whale with us!
Our team loves using data and tech to increase the impact of nonprofits and we are always looking for great people to whale with us. See our open positions below. Whole Whale’s headquarters are based in beautiful DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY. We also have offices in San Francisco and Germany if you’re in the area.
Our Values & Beliefs
We seriously believe we can close the nonprofit education gap in data and tech.
We are geeks who love to find out what the data say about any topic. Smart, analytical, intelligent, data-informed is how we like to refer to our team.
We accept responsibility for our actions with clients and act with their best interests in all decisions.
Even if the glass is empty, we are pretty sure there is a fountain nearby if we look hard enough.
We are always asking questions, testing assumptions and learning as individuals. If we aren’t learning, we feel like we are falling behind.
We measure and improve everything including our own work through our sprint accounting system. We a group that gets things done quickly and at a high level of quality.
Understanding the motivations and feelings of those around us and responding appropriately is the key to being a team player and is something we work toward.
Tweet us if you’re checking us outThis looks like a fun place to work, glad they don't actually kill whales. #npTech Click To Tweet
Whole Whale is looking for a Digital Advertising Fellow to develop core digital marketing skills in advertising to help run successful campaigns for our nonprofit clients and increase our impact.
Whole Whale’s fellowship helps prepare recent graduates and young professionals for full-time employment in the nonprofit and social impact sector by providing hands-on experience and skill-building with digital marketing. The Digital Advertising Fellowship will focus on developing skills in Facebook and YouTube Advertising, Google Ads, Google Ad Grant for Nonprofits, Campaign Strategy, Copywriting, and more.
Whole Whale’s Digital Marketing Fellowship is a 4 month program, where fellows are expected to work 4-5 days per week (days flexible) out of our office in DUMBO. Fellows will earn a weekly stipend for hours worked.
Following the completion of their Fellowship program, Fellows will have the opportunity to apply for a full-time role with Whole Whale, dependent on performance and client needs. We’d like to consider candidates who have an interest in possibly joining our team full-time.
Daily responsibilities will vary depending on individual project needs, but your core responsibilities will include:
Digital Advertising Campaign Strategy + Management
- Plan and execute Facebook, YouTube, Google and other digital advertising campaigns for WW and clients
- Develop and test new campaign ideas and A/B tests to optimize for ad success, including ongoing ad copy updates and keyword research
- Research audiences, targeting, and ad placements to maximize campaign outcomes and client results
- Meticulously set-up paid campaigns with an eye on every small detail and check box
- Help us continuously improve Whole Whale’s approach to advertising by keeping a finger on the pulse of new ad platforms, tools, strategies, and tactics to drive success
Google Ad Grant Strategy + Management
- Develop strategies for search budgets, bid strategies, keyword targeting, and ad messaging for nonprofit Google Ad Grant accounts
- Plan and execute Google Ad Grant search campaigns for nonprofit client accounts
- Stay up to date on Google Ad Grant policies and ensure account compliance
Campaign Analysis and Reporting
- Manage workflow and assist client managers in clearly presenting and interpreting campaign data and performance
- Think creatively to find and report actionable insights for clients using data from multiple sources, including web & social media analytics and search tools, among others
- Brainstorm new campaign ideas and opportunities to drive more conversions and impact — You are never satisfied with flat lines on a graph
- Create dashboards and reports to share campaign results in Google Data Studio, Google Analytics, Sheets, and other platforms
- Create recommendation and training documents for clients
- Write and edit blog posts on digital advertising and other topics that are of interest to you
- Experience running digital ad campaigns on Facebook, Google, or YouTube a big plus
- Can handle other people’s money responsibly (i.e. managing a budget over $2,000)
- Experience with Google Analytics and native social media analytics platforms (e.g. Facebook Insights) and a data-driven mindset
- Creative and driven by a need to continuously iterate, think outside the box, and try new things to deliver even better results
- Superb attention to deetail and organizational skills – Managing multiple campaigns at once is a no brainer (Tell us you found this typo in your cover letter)
- Embody WW values of curious, honest, positive, efficient, analytical, empathetic, and mission-driven
- Passionate about social causes
- Desire to learn. Seriously, we know that everyone starts from somewhere – we’re interested in people eager to learn.
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “I <3 ads for good.” In your cover letter, please detail any experience you have with digital advertising, why it interests you, and answer the following questions:
- What nonprofit or social impact organization do you care deeply about?
- What’s one approach to digital advertising you think would benefit them most and why?
Account Strategist Whaler (Full Time)
Our Account Strategist Whaler will manage multiple client relationships and work across different Whole Whale teams and projects. You will dive deep in impact measurement and analytics, using Google Analytics and other web data platforms to identify valuable insights for our clients that will help them increase their digital impact. You are inherently curious, dogged in your pursuit of an answer, a delegation master, and strong communicator. This role will work out of Whole Whale’s HQ in DUMBO, Brooklyn.
Client Account Management
- Serve as the direct point of contact for 3-5 nonprofit clients; lead regular meetings, set client expectations, provide email support, present reports and deliverables, and communicate progress on projects
- Be a partner and advocate for the client internally and find ways to deliver quality service and support, exceed their expectations, and increase their digital impact
- Own project management for assigned work; define project objectives and scope to support staff resource allocation and internal operations; manage internal project timelines and delegation of work relevant to team expertise to meet project milestones
- Lead hands-on trainings with clients on topics related to analytics, digital marketing, and other areas of expertise
Data Analysis, Reporting, + Insights
- Be an internal expert on impact measurement and data analytics
- Help clients translate their impact objectives into concrete and measurable digital goals
- Think creatively to find actionable insights for clients using data from multiple sources, including web analytics, customer databases, social media, and search tools
- Set up custom dimensions, goals, metrics, view filters, and other advanced configurations in GA and GTM accounts to improve tracking of online behaviors
- Build custom dashboards and reports in Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, Sheets/Excel and other platforms to enable both analysis and visualization of data from multiple sources
- Conduct regular client and WW GA account reviews/firechecks for anomalies and insights to be the canary in the coal mine for our clients’ web data
- Present and interpret client data, including creating clear deliverables with actionable conclusions and recommendations
Content Creation + Trainings
- Create recommendation and training documents for clients and partners
- Lead webinars and in-person trainings
- Write and edit blog posts and guides on relevant tech and nonprofit issues and opportunities that interest you
- Research and determine new opportunities and tools to support client success
- Test, troubleshoot, and participate in feature development for our internal WW products, including Google Analytics add-on tool Lighthouse
- Experience managing client and/or partner relationships
- Experience using Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, or other web analytics platforms
- Strong ability to communicate technical concepts and turn numbers into stories
- Great atttention to detail and organizational skills – Managing multiple projects at once is a no brainer (Tell us you found this typo in your cover letter)
- Advanced Excel skills a must — 10x productivity with formulas
- Embody WW values of curious, honest, positive, efficient, analytical, empathetic, and mission-driven
- Do-er with a desire to learn — Seriously, we know that everyone starts from somewhere and we’re interested in people eager to learn
- You’re passionate about social causes and believe in the mission of Whole Whale and the clients we support: Wholewhale.com/clients
Send a concise cover letter and resume to Laura, WW’s Impact Whaler, at [email protected] with the subject line “I <3 data for good”. In your cover letter, please answer this question: What nonprofit or social impact organization do you care deeply about and what is one Google Analytics goal you would set up to help that organization measure its impact?
Whole Whale is an equal opportunity employer.
Are you a developer? Would you like to be part of building a brand new product and developing new features for our nonprofit clients?
Are you a data analyst/strategist? Looking for an opportunity to do meaningful data strategy work with Google Analytics?
Are you a digital marketing expert? Want to learn more about turning digital advertising into social impact?
We’re always on the hunt for good talent. If you think you could make a big impact at Whole Whale, send us your resume and a brief note explaining your background and how Whole Whale could benefit from bringing you on board. Send these materials to [email protected]
Full-time Whaler Benefits
All full-time entry-level employees start at $42,000 per year + undergo a two month “swim test.” At the end of those two months, if we are the right fit for each other, Whole Whale offers some pretty awesome benefits for full-time employees:
Free, unlimited, delicious coffee!
Healthcare + Dental + Vision. Because duh.
Unlimited Vacation (min 10) + Sick Days. We count work getting done – not working days.
Educational Stipend. $1,000 a year to spend on approved educational activities, books, classes, or conferences. We’re serious about learning.
Work from home Fridays. Because #America.
Cell Phone + Transportation. We cover cell phones for employees that join the company plan, and encourage all employees to use pre-tax Transitcheck to purchase Metrocards.
401k. With matching up to 4% of salary contribution.
Profit Sharing. A percentage of profits are shared through 401k distributions to full-time employees that qualify.
Puppy Whaler Visits. Who doesn’t love dogs in the office?
Paid parental leave. New parents can take up to 12 weeks of paid leave to be with their new child. After that, up to 3 months of unpaid leave or flexible time can be arranged.
Staff retreat. Twice a year the team goes on a staff retreat for team-building and goal-setting activities. The Poconos and upstate NY have been popular destinations.
Whale Abroad Month. After completing 2.5 years of full-time employment at the company, Whalers can go on a 1-month work from abroad trip with a reduced 4-day work week schedule. Whole Whale will cover up to $2,500 of the trip cost.
Annual San Francisco Trip. Because our Chief Whaler is based in SF, Whole Whale provides its full time employees with one paid work trip to San Francisco annually.
Premium Spotify + Headspace. We cover meditation and music.