Whale with us!
Our team loves using data and tech to increase the impact of nonprofits and we are always looking for great people to whale with us. We currently have one full-time, part-time position and one internship open for 2018. See the descriptions below! Whole Whale is based in the new WeWork building in beautiful DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY.
Or find open digital jobs from our partners and clients.
Tweet us if you’re checking us outThis looks like a fun place to work, glad they don't actually kill whales. #npTech Click To Tweet
Whole Whale, a digital agency that works with nonprofits, is looking for a Multimedia Intern for Summer 2018. Interns in this role will help us with our efforts to educate nonprofits about important tech topics via video, audio (podcast), and graphic design. Interns are expected to work 3-4 days a week from June to August, and will be paid a monthly stipend.
– Record new episodes for our Whole Whale TV series using professional setup that includes backdrop, lighting, microphone and DSLR camera
– Work with our video lead to edit videos in Final Cut or Adobe Premiere Pro
– Record and edit podcasts in Audacity
– Design graphics for Whole Whale content and social media using Photoshop
– Experience with Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro, Audacity
– Experience with visual software like Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign
– Familiarity with media analytics a plus
– Comfortable behind a camera and using professional video equipments
– Understanding of cutting edge video technologies
Send a cover letter, resume, and portfolio/links to recent work to [email protected] with the subject line “I want to make media for good.” In your cover letter, please answer this question: What is a social issue you care deeply about?
Full Stack Developer Whaler (part-time)
Whole Whale, a digital agency that leverages tech to increase impact for nonprofits, is looking for a New York City based part-time developer passionate about building tech for good. You will be working closely with our tech lead and PM to build our product Lighthouse. Whole Whale is based in the new WeWork building in beautiful DUMBO, Brooklyn, NY.
- Develop user-facing elements for Lighthouse using ReactJS
- Design and build backend features using NodeJS and AWS
- Choose relevant tools, technologies, and open source libraries to iterate quickly and efficiently
- Foster a team culture focused on development best practices and Agile methodologies
- Integrate 3rd party APIs, such as CRMs, email marketing, and donation platforms
- Integrate billing and payment system
- Set up testing and deployment automation to improve QA process
- Ability/interest in implementing GA and GTM scripts and code a big plus
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience
- 2+ years in relevant coding languages/platforms
- Superb attention to detail and ability to think through edge cases
- Proficiency with versioning systems like Git or SVN
- Ability to communicate with non-technical humans
- Bonus: experience in at least one of these areas
- Serverless Architecture
- Single Page Web Apps
- Google Analytics integration
- CRMs such as Salesforce and Blackbaud
- Product/UX Design
- Familiarity with graphic design tools – Adobe Suite, Sketch, InVision
Send a cover letter and resume to Ann, WW’s tech + design lead, at [email protected] with the subject line “I <3 coding for good”. In your cover letter, please focus on these three questions:
- What nonprofit or social impact organization do you care deeply about?
- What is your favorite thing about coding?
- What is your existing experience as an engineer? Be specific – what projects have you worked on and what kind of results did you see? Feel free to share screenshots or other resources to help us understand your past successes.
Whole Whale is an equal opportunity employer.
Are you a developer? Would you like to be part of building a brand new product and developing new features for our nonprofit clients?
Are you a data analyst/strategist? Looking for an opportunity to do meaningful data strategy work with Google Analytics?
Are you a digital marketing expert? Want to learn more about turning digital advertising into social impact?
We’re always on the hunt for good talent. If you think you could make a big impact at Whole Whale, send us your resume and a brief note explaining your background and how Whole Whale could benefit from bringing you on board. Send these materials to [email protected]
Full-time Whaler Benefits
All full-time entry-level employees start at $41,400 per year + undergo a two month “swim test.” At the end of those two months, if we are the right fit for each other, Whole Whale offers some pretty awesome benefits for full-time employees:
Free, unlimited, delicious coffee and beer. Thanks WeWork!
Healthcare + Dental + Vision. Because duh.
Unlimited Vacation (min 10) + Sick Days. We count work getting done – not working days.
Educational Stipend. $1,000 a year to spend on approved educational activities, books, classes, or conferences. We’re serious about learning.
Work from home Fridays. Because #America.
Cell Phone + Transportation. We cover cell phones for employees that join the company plan, and encourage all employees to use pre-tax Transitcheck to purchase Metrocards.
401k. With matching up to 4% of salary contribution.
Profit Sharing. A percentage of profits are shared through 401k distributions to full-time employees that qualify.
Puppy Whaler Visits. Who doesn’t love dogs in the office?
Paid parental leave. New parents can take up to 12 weeks of paid leave to be with their new child. After that, up to 3 months of unpaid leave or flexible time can be arranged.