Whale with us!
Our team loves using data and tech to increase the impact of nonprofits and we are always looking for great people to whale with us. See our open positions below. Whole Whale’s headquarters are based in Brooklyn, NY.
There are no open fellowship positions at this time.
The Whole Whale Fellowship Program is designed to prepare recent graduates, young professionals, or those seeking a new career path for full-time employment in the nonprofit and social impact sector by providing hands-on experience and skill-building with digital marketing. Fellows have the opportunity to grow their skills in digital marketing, advertising, and analytics while supporting both internal and client projects. Our fellowships are a 4-month commitment, and fellows are compensated with a weekly stipend. We’d like to consider candidates who have an interest in possibly joining our team full-time.
Opportunities with Our Nonprofit Clients
Our Values & Beliefs
We seriously believe we can close the nonprofit education gap in data and tech.
We are geeks who love to find out what the data say about any topic. Smart, analytical, intelligent, data-informed is how we like to refer to our team.
We accept responsibility for our actions with clients and act with their best interests in all decisions.
Even if the glass is empty, we are pretty sure there is a fountain nearby if we look hard enough.
We are always asking questions, testing assumptions and learning as individuals. If we aren’t learning, we feel like we are falling behind.
We measure and improve everything including our own work through our sprint accounting system. We a group that gets things done quickly and at a high level of quality.
Understanding the motivations and feelings of those around us and responding appropriately is the key to being a team player and is something we work toward.
Whole Whale is deeply committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. Read our DEI Commitment.
Listen to a former employee talk about his work at Whole Whale honestly
Hear from an employee that worked from abroad for 1 month
Learn how our interview process works from our former head of hiring/Impact Whaler
Our Account Associate will manage multiple nonprofit client relationships and work across different Whole Whale teams and projects. With a focus on account leadership, the Account Associate will work closely with the Content Marketing, Advertising, and Analytics teams to develop, implement, and measure digital marketing campaigns and strategies for our nonprofit clients. You are inherently curious, insight-driven, a delegation master, and a strong communicator.
Location: Currently, our entire team is working remotely with plans to reopen our office in Brooklyn, NY when it is safe to return, approximately in late 2021 or early 2022. The health and safety of our team is a core priority. The location of this role is flexible for the right candidate.
Client Account Leadership
- Serve as the main point of contact for at least 3 nonprofit clients; lead regular meetings, set client expectations, answer questions, guide strategy, present reports and deliverables, and communicate progress on projects
- Provide a 30K foot view for clients to best leverage Whole Whale’s digital marketing capabilities to help them make progress towards their impact goals; translate client goals into tasks that can be supported by the broader Whole Whale team
- Lead project management for assigned clients; define project objectives, set timelines, and work with team members to delegate work relevant to their expertise to meet project milestones and deadlines
- Be a partner and advocate for clients internally and find ways to deliver quality service and support, exceed their expectations, and increase their digital impact
- Lead Zoom and in-person trainings and presentations on topics related to digital impact measurement, analytics, content marketing, or other areas of expertise
- Lead strategy alignment and goal-setting conversations with our nonprofit clients to help them leverage all facets of their digital marketing to further their missions
- Craft digital campaigns, communications, marketing, or fundraising plans that provide strategic and tactical direction for nonprofit partners
- Translate data into action and use digital marketing and analytics tools to answer client questions, identify relevant insights, and better inform their overall digital efforts
- Become an expert — While 70% of this job will be account leadership, the other 30% will have you develop deeper expertise in one of Whole Whale service areas (Content Marketing, SEO, Email, Fundraising, Advertising, UX, Creative Campaigns, etc.)
Thought Leadership & Management
- Stay up to date on new digital marketing strategies, opportunities, and tools to support client success and keep the team informed
- Create recommendations and training documents for clients and partners
- Take part in additional internal processes including voting on client projects, building WW culture, cultivating internal expertise, and managing other internal systems
- Contribute to the building of Whole Whale as thought leader in the nonprofit marketing space
- 1-2 years of professional experience, especially in roles involving project management with a high bar for rigor, quality, and integrity; Comfort moving seamlessly from big picture strategy to tactical implementation; Client account management or agency experience a plus
- 1+ year experience in digital marketing, email marketing, communications, or nonprofit fundraising
- Demonstrated success managing client and/or partner relationships
- Some familiarity with common digital marketing tools, such as Google Analytics, CMS (e.g. WordPress, Drupal), email platforms (e.g. Mailchimp, Campaign Monitor), CRM (e.g. Salesforce, Hubspot), or donor management (e.g. Neon, Blackbaud, Give Lively)
- Content writing & copywriting experience and an editorial eye a plus
- Creative and driven by a need to continuously iterate, think outside the box, and try new things to deliver even better results
- Embody WW values of curious, honest, positive, efficient, analytical, empathetic, and mission-driven
- Do-er with a desire to learn — Seriously, we know that everyone starts from somewhere and we’re interested in people eager to learn!
- You’re passionate about social causes and believe in the mission of Whole Whale and the clients we support
Salary + Benefits
Salary range for this role is $52,000- $55,000 depending on experience.
Every full-time hire undergoes a three-month “swim test” but is eligible to enroll in core benefits like health, vision, and dental care right away. At the end of three months, you’ll unlock all of Whole Whale’s awesome benefits for full-time employees including:
- Annual profit share: A percentage of profits are shared as a 401k distribution to full-time employees who qualify. This has historically equated to approximately 10% of base salary.
- 100% Paid Health, vision, dental care: Base plan for Health, vision, and dental premiums fully covered in one option along with additional plans to meet your needs.
- Unlimited PTO: Minimum of 10 vacation or sick days must be taken each year. We count work getting done – not working days.
- Commission: Whalers can earn a 5% commission fee up to $5,000 for any new business they generate.
- Technology budget: New Whalers get a $1,200 tech setup budget for a computer and equipment as needed. Presently, Whole Whale is also providing extra equipment to facilitate work-from-home productivity.
- Learning budget: $750 a year to spend on approved educational activities, books, classes, or conferences. We’re serious about learning.
- Wellness budget: $400 a year to spend on enhancing your physical and mental wellbeing.
- Cell phone: Whole Whale covers phone costs up to $700/year for any whalers who choose to join the company Verizon phone plan.
- 401k with 4% company match: Whole Whale matches up to 4% of salary contribution.
- Whale abroad month: After 2.5 years at Whole Whale, full-time employees have the opportunity to work abroad for up to one month. Includes a reduced 4-day work week and up to $2,500 towards the trip cost (reputable remote work partners provided).
- Paid parental leave: New parents can take up to 12 weeks of paid leave to be with their new child. After that, up to 3 months of unpaid leave or flexible time can be arranged.
- In-office perks when we reopen:
- Staff retreat: Twice a year the team goes on a staff retreat for team-building and goal-setting activities. The Poconos and upstate NY have been popular destinations.
- Office snacks: We keep a fully stocked kitchen in our Brooklyn-based office, including unlimited tea and coffee and other snacks
- Pet-friendly office: Pups are welcome in the office! Treats provided
- Flexible remote work policy
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Account Associate 2021”. In your cover letter, please detail any experience you have with digital marketing and project management, and address these questions:
- What’s a social impact campaign that you admire, and why?
- What’s an organization that you think should work with Whole Whale and in what ways?
Whole Whale is an impact-driven B-corp digital agency that is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, and/or LGBTQ to apply. Please note that this job posting closes on June 27 2021. The application process will include 3 Zoom video interviews, an exercise showing sample work, and reference checks. Candidate applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Are you a developer? Would you like to be part of building a brand new product and developing new features for our nonprofit clients?
Are you a data analyst/strategist? Looking for an opportunity to do meaningful data strategy work with Google Analytics?
Are you a digital marketing expert? Want to learn more about turning digital advertising into social impact?
We’re always on the hunt for good talent. If you think you could make a big impact at Whole Whale, send us your resume and a brief note explaining your background and how Whole Whale could benefit from bringing you on board. Send these materials to email@example.com.
All full-time entry-level employees start at $45,000 per year + undergo a three month “swim test.” Enroll in core benefits like healthcare right away. Then at the end of three months, if we are the right fit for each other, you’ll unlock access to Whole Whale’s other awesome benefits for full-time employees:
Healthcare + Dental + Vision. Because duh.
Unlimited Vacation (min 10) + Sick Days. We count work getting done – not working days.
Educational Stipend. $1,000 a year to spend on approved educational activities, books, classes, or conferences. We’re serious about learning.
Work from home Fridays. Because #America.
Cell Phone + Transportation. We cover cell phones for employees that join the company plan, and encourage all employees to use pre-tax Transitcheck to purchase Metrocards.
401k. With matching up to 4% of salary contribution.
Profit Sharing. A percentage of profits are shared through 401k distributions to full-time employees that qualify.
Puppy Whaler Visits. Who doesn’t love dogs in the office?
Paid parental leave. New parents can take up to 12 weeks of paid leave to be with their new child. After that, up to 3 months of unpaid leave or flexible time can be arranged.
Staff retreat. Twice a year the team goes on a staff retreat for team-building and goal-setting activities. The Poconos and upstate NY have been popular destinations.
Whale Abroad Month. After completing 2.5 years of full-time employment at the company, Whalers can go on a 1-month work from abroad trip with a reduced 4-day work week schedule. Whole Whale will cover up to $2,500 of the trip cost.
Premium Spotify + Headspace. We cover meditation and music.