Weekly news from NonprofitNewsfeed.com
Elon Musk Dubbed “Troll Philanthropist” In New York Times
Elon Musk’s high-profile brush with the typically staid world of philanthropy is generating waves. Famously getting into a public ruff with the World Food Programme (WFP) over how much money it would take to “solve world hunger,” one researcher at the Urban Institute notes that Musk “doesn’t seem to care much about using his philanthropy to curry public favor.” Within large public conversations about the role of philanthropy, effective altruism, and corporate social responsibility, Musk’s role in shaping that conversation is noteworthy.
Read more ➝
Patagonia CEO Represents New Movement In For-Profit Activism
Not to be outdone by Musk’s philanthropic adventures, Patagonia’s new CEO Ryan Gellert has reengaged the outdoor retailer’s commitment to bold actions on climate and sustainability. Patagonia, a B Corporation (like Whole Whale, the creators of this fine newsletter) has recommitted to bold commitments within the corporate sustainability movement. Patagonia has committed to giving 1% of its sales to environmental groups. The company is on track to do almost $1 billion in sales this year.
Read more ➝
- Children, Coping With Loss, Are Pandemic’s ‘Forgotten Grievers’
- How Tech Is Helping Poor People Get Government Aid
- Wikipedia’s first ever edit is being auctioned as an NFT
- Conservative members of Congress share Christmas photos with guns, receive donations from pro-gun rights groups
- Pandemic financially devastated minority-led nonprofits | State | stardem.com
- Nonprofit uses blacksmithing to support service members with PTSD