Thanks to our guide to Google Optimize, you now know what the tool is and how to use it to increase your impact. Now, you’re ready to set up your Google Optimize account. A little recap: Google Optimize is a free tool that allows you to experiment with different variations of your website in order to find the perfect combination of copy, colors, and layouts that drive people to convert. You can also choose to pay for Optimize 360, which gives you access to advanced targeting options.
The tool is fairly easy to use within itself, but setting up an Optimize account for the first time can get a little tricky. So, we created a simple guide on how to set up your very own Google Optimize account. Let’s get started!
Here are a few things you’ll need in order to create a Google Optimize Account:
- A Google Analytics account
- Google Analytics web tracking in place on your website
- Google Chrome web browser installed
- The Optimize Chrome extension
How to create your Optimize Account
- Go to optimize.google.com
- Click “Create new Account”
- Enter an Account name
- Enter a Container name
- Agree to the Terms of Service
- Click CREATE
How to link to your Google Analytics Account
- Once you have created your Optimize Account, go into the program and click Main Menu > Accounts
- Click on a container
- Click Edit next to Google Analytics in the container information panel
The information panel will provide guidelines for the container setup process, including a checklist and additional resources for each step of the process. Click “Link to Property” to choose which Google Analytics property corresponds to your container.
- In the property panel, select the Analytics property that corresponds to the web domain on which you’ll be running experiments
- For example, if you created an Optimize container for “savethewhales.com,” then you would select your “savethewhales.com” property
- Select one or more Analytics views, preferably a view with few or no filters
- Click SAVE
How to add Optimize to your website
- First, make sure you have Universal Analytics installed on your website
- Then, get the Optimize Snippet:
- Go to your experiments page
- Locate the container information panel on the right side of the page
Under your container information, you will be prompted to “Add Optimize to you website.” Once you install the Optimize snippet, you can begin running different types of experiments on your website.
- Click “Install Optimize”
- Click the blue “VIEW SNIPPET” button
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- 3. Add the Modified Analytics Tracking Code to your page’s HTML Code:
- Copy the modified Analytics tracking code from the dialog box in Optimize and place it as early as possible in the opening <HEAD> tag and before any other tracking scripts (not used in experiments).
- We recommend that you also install the page-hiding snippet, which reduces the risk of page flicker!
You can add the code to all of your web pages or just the pages that you wish to experiment on. Placement of the Optimize code snippets is important, and there is a general order of how tags should be placed.
And just like that, you’re ready to create your first A/B, redirect, or multivariate test. Don’t forget to check out our article on best practices for using Google Optimize and some of our other great resources on Analytics. Happy testing!