We are huge nonprofit data geeks here and so we felt compelled to collect some raw data around #GivingTuesday. Here are some helpful fundraising tips and ideas if your nonprofit is thinking about participating in the 2017 #GivingTuesday on November 29th. One of the most striking things to remember is that overall giving in the US still remains anchored to GDP and the day of giving has yet move this beyond the 2% individual giving vs. total GDP. This year, Whole Whale is predicting that $201M will be raised on the day, increasing by 20% over 2016’s $168M raised.
Listen to our prediction edpisode:
Awareness of #GivingTuesday
In a 2015 national survey by the John Templeton Foundation, 93% of consumers were familiar with Black Friday, while only 18% were familiar with Giving Tuesday. Sadly search behavior around these two keywords are even more unbalanced according to Google Trends data that shows search volume.
Here is our breakdown of relevant stats by year for #GivingTuesday and general giving trends. We didn’t make a super pretty infographic of this (yet), because we thought you would just prefer the facts.
- #GivingTuesday 1.56M gifts
- Total amount donated: $168M vs $116.7M in 2015, growth of 44% YoY
- Average gift: $107 (Blackbaud)
- GDP: $18,561.93 billion (US GDP trend)
- Total US donations: $379.89 billion (according to Giving USA), which translates to 2.05% of US GDP.
- #GivingTuesday +698,961 donors
- Total amount donated: $116.7M growth of 45% over 2014
- Average gift: $137 (Blackbaud)
- GDP: $17,968.2 billion (US GDP trend)
- Total US donations: $358.4 billion (according to Giving USA), which translates to 1.99% of US GDP.
- #GivingTuesday +20,000 partners (15,000 ngos)
- Total amount donated: $47.5M growth of 63% over 2013(Case Foundation report)
- GDP: $17,348.08 billion (US GDP trend)
- US giving: $358.38 (2.06% of GDP- 2014 giving stats from NP Trust)
- #GivingTuesday 8,500 partners (7,000 ngos)
- $3857 per NGO
- Total amount donated: $27M
- Avg individual gift:143 (Blackbaud)
- US donated: $335.17B (1.99% of GDP)
- #GivingTuesday 2,500 NGOs involved
- $4,800 per NGO
- Total amount donated: $12M
- Avg individual gift: $101 (Blackbaud)
- GDP: $15,533.8 billion (US GDP trend)
- US donated $228.93 billion (1.5 percent of GDP)