As Seen On…
Conferences where we have spoken and occasionally caused a ruckus: Strata Data, SXSW, NTC, Net Impact, SM4NP, Innogive, and others…
We also do college
Universities where we’ve taught and guest lectured…
Give us a shout if you are interested in having us present a workshop, panel, or keynote. Whole Whale also has many rich nonprofit case studies that we can co-present with our clients. We also have a killer list of nonprofit conferences to attend if you are looking.
– Patty Oertel, President The Oertel Group, Former ED of The Center For Nonprofit Management
Selected Current Conference Topics
Why Your Gut is Wrong: A/B Testing for Organs and Actions
With Google Analytics, we know the who, what, when, where, and how of actions on your website. But do we know WHY those actions are happening? We can thanks to the psychology of how we see. Even if you’re a non-designer, you’ll learn why certain layouts are scientifically proven to be more effective than others (and why you should never trust your gut). We’ll look at how these designs play out in action against Donate Life America’s organ, eye, and tissue donor registration page. Finally we’ll give you 5 ideas for design elements you can test on your site today.
- Understand the key psychological principles of design and how they impact user behavior.
- How to perform A/B testing on websites to test these best practices against your users’ behavior.
- How to track user behavior at a granular level in Google Analytics + Google Tag Manager.
We Should All Be Dataists: Fostering and Maintaining a Nonprofit Data Culture
Whether your organization is one month or one hundred years old, the common denominator all nonprofits share is a high value placed on democratizing data. But a data democracy doesn’t mean “data all the things.” We’ll show you how to find the metrics that matter most to your organization’s mission-driven impact. We’ll also look at the other data that matter: those that track your marketing and communications. Finally, we’ll show how you can bring both data sets together through Google Analytics, and find reporting that matters for each member of your team — from Data Grasshopper to Analytics Ninja.
- Define a data culture and effectively explain how data pertains to your specific organization.
- Know what internal and external metrics matter most to your organizational mission and how those numbers should be reported internally.
- How to measure and report those key performance indicators at both a basic and expert level in Google Analytics.
Data-Driven Storytelling for Impact: How to Save the World, One Headline at a Time
SEO is a free, time-honored way of increasing your audience and potential supporter base. SEO is also a potential time suck with a slower ROI. So how do you strike a balance? We’ll look at how a lean marketing team can leverage website data to make effective (and time-saving) content choices, and how to reduce workload by reusing and reposting existing stories to drive further engagement on social media. We’ll also go over how to set up and automate reporting on your content for greater efficiency — so you have more time to save the world.
- Determine the most successful types of content and subject areas via website and social media analytics
- Perform keyword research to guarantee their content is optimized for both the robots of Google and human users of Google
- Devise an online editorial calendar that curates a balance of new content and repurposed content.
Put a Cat Gif on It: How to Go from Social Media Meme to Real Donations
Here’s some #NotFakeNews: Your hashtags aren’t enough to track storytelling effectiveness. In this session that combines case-study with strategic brass tacks, we’ll look at how Lung Cancer Foundation of America went from an April Fool’s idea, #CatsAgainstLungCancer, to a clear and measurable digital engagement campaign with measurable results to show for it. Participants will learn how to identify concrete actions for users to take in a campaign and how those align with key performance indicators of moving their mission forward. We’ll also look beyond April 1 to see how the unexpected bright spots of LCFA’s website can still drive meaningful action — and funding for lung cancer research.
- Understand the impact funnel logic model of marketing and how to set goals at 4 key stages of engagement.
- Go from out-there idea (e.g., #CatsAgainstLungCancer) to digital campaign with clear metrics to measure impact.
- Understand how to leverage the most popular stories told on your platform towards the ultimate reason your organization exists.
How to #Win at Facebook Advertising
It’s no secret that you have to pay to play in order to get meaningful social media engagement these days. Facebook advertising is consistently one of the cheapest and most targeted ways to drive brand awareness, engage your followers, and build traffic and conversions on your website. In this session, we’ll use nonprofit case studies to answer the basic questions of Facebook advertising. We’ll also share some advanced tips and tricks for running effective campaigns and getting the most out of your ad budget to drive impact for your organization. Whether you’re a total newbie to Facebook ads or you’re an old pro, you’ll walk away with new ideas for ways to use Facebook to further your mission.
- What’s the difference between the various ad formats, and how much should I expect to pay?
- How can I craft an advertising plan that meets my organization’s goals?
- Finding the ROI: How do I know if it’s worth it?
The $100 Social Advertising Budget
Not every nonprofit has a 5-figure budget to spend on social media advertising. So how do you rise above the noise and reach the audiences that matter most to your organization? Looking at several case studies that have shown high results on small investments, we’ll help you to identify the advertising platforms that give you the largest ROI for your organization and plan a campaign — from targeting to messaging to measuring — that can be run on $100 a month. We’ll also lay out the next steps for you to take to start #winning at paid social.
- Identify the best platforms to make the most effective use of your organization’s budget.
- Find and target the audiences most likely to convert and identify measurable actions that define conversion.
- Measure and track social advertising campaigns and know when to pivot based on success rate.
7 Things We’ve Learned from Producing 7 E-Learning Courses
In an era of alternative facts and #FakeNews, the trust afforded nonprofits means your digital presence is both vital and far-reaching. In addition to your organization’s website, social, and email, your content can go one step deeper with virtual learning. Having produced 7 online courses, both independently and in conjunction with partner TechSoup, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of producing your own e-learning course, from ideation to planning to marketing, with organizational case studies to help spark inspiration along the way.
- Understand the basics of creating a virtual learning course from finding the right idea to production basics to successful launch.
- How to effectively market online courses using existing digital platforms and how to repurpose course content on social media.
- How to measure the effectiveness of e-learning initiatives and turn those insights into next steps.
Could Machine Learning Decrease Juvenile Prison Rates? Let’s Find Out
Nonprofits have yet to adopt machine learning for impact. In 2017 Power Poetry, the largest online platform for young poets, began building the Poetry Genome, a series of ML tools that analyze and break down similarity scores of poems added to the site. This has increased site engagement by 30%. And with 85% of kids facing prison time unable to read their own verdicts, more literacy means fewer incarcerated teens. In this session, we’ll look at how nonprofits can realize their ambitious goals in lean ways, giving participants ideas as to how they can harness machine learning meet their mission.
- Concepts explained: Machine learning and AI and how both can be leveraged towards social impact.
- How nonprofits can leverage ML and AI on a budget using tools available to them.
- Why machine learning can — and should — go from delivering beer via drones to increasing the quality of life for those who need it most.
We can also create customized half- or full-day trainings on digital strategy topics. This includes a pre-survey of the audience, analysis of the organization’s approach and data, and a follow up page of training resources that can be built into the nonprofit’s website resources. We love teaching the nonprofit sector everything we know. To get an idea of our style, check out our Whole Whale TV trainings.
Selected Topics Include
- Social Media Measurement and Management (includes access to our online course on social media)
- Google Analytics to measure impact
- Google Ad Grant management (includes access to our online course on the Google Ad Grant)
- Turning Data into Action: Data-Driven Impact Theory and Practice (includes access to our online course on Impact Hacking)
- Content Marketing and SEO for Impact (includes access to our online course on SEO and Content Marketing)